Sunday, November 30, 2008

Second Life

I enjoyed Anima's Web poster not only because it was informative, but also because it was a demonstration of the concept of virtual worlds. The idea of a second life holds a lot of promise in different spheres of activity. I can absolutely envision its usefulness in areas such as product development, modeling, and education. I also appreciated the acknowledgment of its limitations outlined in the text. One of my issues about technology was humorously illustrated by a TV ad: the camera pans over a reenactment of a 1950's auto show, and lingers over Jetson style "cars of the future." Meanwhile, the voice over asks: "Where are the cars we were promised?" I think of this ad as the server goes down at work, the Website I was looking for has been taken down, the FAQ's on a Web page don't address my question, and I loose my wireless connection at home computer - all things that have happened to me in the last 2 weeks. My point is that the promise of seamless, integrated technolgy has yet to be delivered in first, or second life. Message to tech companies: promise less, deliver more.

2 comments:

Ibirapuera said...

I was also amazed on how Anima’s Web Poster was designed. In addition to being extremely informative, it demonstrated how virtual concepts work together.

Honestly the terminology second life was not entirely familiar to me. But after surfing on his Web Poster I had the feeling I am more educated and interested on this matter.

I considered the video entirely informative – mainly for those who did not possess much knowledge on second life. As amazing as this subject sounds, it will be really terrific when second life is entirely present in the areas you mentioned, and in many others which haven’t been privileged by the advantages of such a revolutionary technology.

Professor Cyborg said...

I'm fascinated with Second Life as well, somewhat for the potential to change the organizing process, but even more for the pedagogical possibilities. I've attended several presentations by faculty currently teaching in Second Life; there are things you can do in SL that you can't do in first life (or off world), such as teleport and fly. Instructors can also set up experiences for students in SL that allow them to explore all sorts of communication situations without the consequences they'd face off line. Still, the learning curve for Second Life is steep. And although I've had training in using Second Life, I'm a long ways from being able to use it in my classes.