Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Violent Identity

Since my upcoming project concerns identity, I have been reading chapter 5 with interest. Several things stood out for me, starting with the discussion about identity and violence (p. 114). By and large, school shootings are an American phenomenon. Yes, I think the easy availability of guns contributes to the possibility of violence, but as gun rights advocates point out: guns don't kill, people do. I believe that identity based on the consumption of signs (consumerism), and devoid of real community, contributes to violence without conscience. After a violent event, everyone laments that "no one saw the warning signs." The larger point is: no one is watching. I don't think the answer lies in arming ourselves, but in fostering a community of positive relationships, with which we can identify.

No comments: