Monday, September 29, 2008

Socialization

The process of socialization to a new job, even within the same company poses particular challenges if you telecommute, or work independently. When taking on the position of a trainer within my company, I went through the three stages of anticipation, encounter and metamorphosis discussed in our text (p. 100). When I transferred to the position I was excited to be embarking on a new learning experience. I had only spoken briefly to my boss, who had hired me based on a phone interview, and a presentation made to subordinates. I received my training by traveling to other states and observing other trainers. I did not meet my boss for 5 months after I was hired. Having very limited interaction with my peers made me reluctant to ask questions, which extended my socialization to to more than 6 months.

3 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

When I took my job at SJSU, I was so glad I'd studied organizational communication. At the time, there was email but no World Wide Web as we know it, so all my information about the university and department was from the microfiche catalog at Northern Arizona U (where I was teaching at the time). As you found, the socialization process can be lengthy. I observed and asked questions before speaking out at meetings. My crash course in department history came when I drove to a retreat with two full professors, who provided me with quite a bit of background on the department's personalities and processes. Recently, several faculty members left our department. Two were especially unhappy the entire time they were here, in part I suspect, because they failed to actively engage in the socialization process.

zamoradesign said...

I believe that most organizations will create a positive socialization experience when they incorporate the "mentor" concept. If you have a mentor that is experienced and is positive to exercise in guiding a new member through the socialization process then you can sure that the three stages of socialization will be met with great care. In our organization we have a mentor-like program. Each new member is assigned to a training officer and they are guided and evaluated through the process of becoming a fully trained member. This trainer becomes this new member's mentor, counselor, or worst nightmare. The organization offers at least three of these trainers through the first 18 months of being hired. The new member gathers insight and attributes from each trainer (mentor) to gain confidence in the metamorphosis stage.

Kartik J said...

Socialization to a new job has mostly been good for me personally. All the companies I've worked for have encouraged employees to interact with each other in a more relaxed setting through team-building activities like outings, picnics, etc. so that each one can get to know others in an informal manner. These activities are crucial to make one feel at ease with one's colleagues and goes towards maintaining a healthy interpersonal atmosphere at the workplace.

I find it surprising that it took you 5 months to meet your boss (in person)! That would likely extend socialization at the workplace a bit longer than usual!