Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Triangulation

According to Cheney et al, triangulation is "the strategy of employing multiple methods" (p. 455) of data analysis; it may also serve as a metaphor for communication, or other problem solving within organizations. Recently, when I needed a user id and specific passwords, for a proprietary software system that would allow me to communicate to directly with an outside company, I started with my boss. She said she would contact the appropriate person at the regional office and get back to me. A week later when I followed up, she said she hadn't been able to reach the person, and told me to email her directly. After two emails and a phone message produced no response, I was frustrated. During a trip to the regional office, the following week I spoke to the person's boss directly, and received the information I needed the next day. Although this was not triangulation in the scholarly sense, it illustrates the idea that issues need to be approached from multiple perspectives to find useful solutions.

No comments: